Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Your Assignment in Life


Ok. Just two cents of my thoughts from today. A crazy busy day. Work lately has been busy, it's just that time of year. Which means that I don't have a ton of time to do homework while I'm at my student job, which means I'll end up doing it when I get home tonight. When I would rather be doing a million different things. Working on my Etsy business, spending time with Charlie, working out (I totally slept in this morning), or cleaning (yes I love having a clean apartment, seriously I feel so good when the dishes are done and the floors are swept).

But things have changed with Charlie's new job. Well not the job itself, just our schedules. Last night we were watching a basketball game and Charlie looks at me and says, "I just got this sinking feeling that I need to get my homework done......hahaha I don't have any!" Ok and I still have homework (he loves to tease me like this) and that homework isn't going to do itself. And dishes aren't going to wash themselves. This blog post isn't going to write itself. And the new line of kids clothes for my shop are not going to make themselves. I guess what I'm getting at is there are like a million things I could do with my 24 hours every day. But that isn't the point of this post. I'm in my last semester of classes at BYU. Next semester I'll be student teaching and then I'm done! There are a million things that I would love to be doing with my life right now, and when I look at my list of things I would love to do in my life. School is one of them. So maybe my list doesn't go in the exact order that I would prefer to do things in. And maybe it doesn't go in order from easy to hard. But I am still doing things I want to do during my life.

I guess the point is that getting a degree is so important to me because through my degree and all the things I've learned in the last four years I will be able to change people's lives. Crazy. One of my teacher's told us a story today about her dad who was a fifth grade teacher, and years down the road he needed some pretty serious surgery and one of his former students was the surgeon! Ok crazy story and this probably doesn't happen every day. But every kid matters. Learning matters. And showing kids that learning is a worthwhile pursuit matters to me.

I think I just needed to think this whole thing out. Whatever I'm doing today, this week, this month, or this year, I'm going to focus on it. There will be time to do all those things on my list eventually. But if I try to accomplish my whole list in one  year nothing is going to get the attention it deserves, and than what am I going to do with the rest of my life? I'm only 21 and there is probably a reason I'm going through life in the order I am. So in 2016 I'm going to focus on school. Because an education is what I am supposed to do right now, and I love that. Any spare time I have you can bet it's going to be spent with my family, because in my book they will always be the number one thing on my list.


“Think about your particular assignment at this time in your life. It may be to get an education, it may be to rear children, it may be to be a grandparent, it may be to care for an relieve the suffering of someone you love, it may be to do a job in the most excellent way possible, it may be to support someone who has a difficult assignment of their own. Our assignments are varied and they change from time to time. Don't take them lightly. Give them your full heart and energy. Do them with enthusiasm. Do whatever you have to do this week with your whole heart and soul. To do less than this will leave you with an empty feeling.” ― Marjorie Pay HinckleySmall and Simple Things

If you read this whole thing thank you!! I hope it was worthwhile. I hope you can look at your life and see that spreading yourself too thin isn't going to make things better. Give things the time and attention they deserve, you will have time to do everything you want to do. But most importantly give people the time they deserve - because things change, and you won't be at this point in your life forever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment