My 10 week appointment got pushed back a week because the doctor had some scheduling and family stuff come up. Looking back on it all it worked out perfectly because my parents and little sister were in town the next day and I don't think I could have held this news in for more than 24 hours.
We got to the appointment and the nurse took us back, she said to Charlie, "You go sit in there Dad, and she will be right back." She took me to do my vitals (which she had to do twice because apparently I was super excited/nervous). When I walked back into the room where Charlie was to wait for the doctor he said, "I couldn't figure out who she was talking to when she said dad..." Apparently that really weirded him out.
The doctor came in and made some small talk and then said we should do an ultrasound to confirm fetal vital signs. I remember him putting the probe on my belly and thinking please, please, please let there be a baby in there. The image popped up on the screen and I was relieved that I saw a baby, but the second thing I noticed was a membrane and a second little baby. Charlie was still sitting in a chair looking over at the screen. I knew right away, I put my hand on my forehead and the doctor told Charlie to come over. Then he just waited......Charlie told me later he knew pretty fast that it was twins but didn't want to say it out loud in case he wasn't right. The doctor told Charlie to make a diagnosis, then Charlie said, "It looks like twins..." The doctor told him he should go to medical school because he just made a medical diagnosis and then said, "Congratulations!"
The weirdest part of the whole thing to me was that the doctor casually opens the door and yells to the nurse, "Hey will you change her chart, she's got twins." Charlie says the weirdest part to him was when the nurse called him dad in the beginning!
Anyway he went over a bunch of stuff we should and should not do since this pregnancy is now "high risk" and then sent us on our way with another appointment and ultrasound in four weeks.
Driving away we both felt pretty calm. I was surprised that I felt so good and so relaxed about the whole two baby thing. Looking back over the last few months I can see how Heavenly Father was giving me hints and helping us prepare for this. We knew my parents would be in town the next morning so we wanted to wait and tell them in person. Charlie's dad actually called us as we were driving away from the doctor's office and asked if we wanted to go get dinner, which was perfect.
We went over to his parents house in Provo and showed them the ultrasound as soon as we walked in. They looked at it and didn't understand at first, just said it looked good. Charlie told them to look closer and when they realized it Charlie's dad teared up and his mom gave me a huge hug. We went and got Cafe Rio and talked about it all night.
My parents were at my grandparents house the next morning and we drove over as soon as they were awake. We wrapped up the ultrasound to give to my dad as a "birthday present" since they were here for his birthday weekend. We gave it to them on the front steps at my grandparents house, and you have to watch this video, it totally explains everyone's feelings about it and I'm so glad we have it.
I feel so blessed and so excited to raise our two babies. Of course it was a surprise and now how we planned on things going but I think the best things that happen in life come that way. I can't spin anymore and it hurts to even run, but I am totally loving the elliptical, yoga, and the stair master. Now all we have to do is wait till May 11th to find out if we are getting two little boys, two little girls, or one of each!


No comments:
Post a Comment