Sunday, January 1, 2017

Fertility #1



Written on 11/2/2016

We have been trying for six months, but emotionally it feels like longer than that. When we had been married for about a year I really wanted to have a baby. We both agreed that my degree was a must, so I kept on going to school. Finally we were at the point where I was less than nine months away from graduation, and we went on a cruise to places where Zika virus was present. When we left on that trip my OB told us we would have to wait two weeks when we got back to make sure we didn't have any symptoms. When we got back the CDC had changed their recommendation to three months. So we waited some more. When I stopped taking my birth control pill I had one period, but nothing else.

Monday was Halloween. I had fasted the week before to know what to do, Charlie was sick that weekend so he didn't fast with me. Then on Monday morning I called the doctor to schedule my blood work, I got my blood drawn on Tuesday, and then they called me back on the morning of Halloween. All they said was my blood work showed that I have PCOS and that I should schedule an appointment with my doctor.

We are headed back to the doctor tomorrow to talk about what to do with my PCOS. I wanted to stop and write down my feelings before then. I'm hoping they will get more specific tomorrow. I'm hoping that I don't really have PCOS. I don't really fit the profile of the typical PCOS patient.

I'm mad that I have PCOS. I'm scared that it will never go away. I want it to be normal when we want to have kids but if it truly is PCOS it never will be easy when we want to have a baby. I know that so many people face really big things when it comes to fertility. PCOS is pretty common, it is the leading cause of infertility, and it is treatable. But it is still big and scary to me. It is still the biggest thing I've had to deal with. I'm super grateful that there are options.

As scared as I am to start, I hope that Charlie and I can make quick decisions about treatment. I hope that it doesn't go further than basic fertility drugs. We are beyond ready to be parents. We have prayed for our baby for years. Charlie is so positive. When I called and told him what it was he told me, "we can handle this. It sucks, but we can handle it."

We will see what they say tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment